Graze: To feed on growing grasses.



The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.


-Ps. 23:1-6

Growing up on a farm, I used to watch the cows, sheep & horses graze in the pasture. Each morning we would open the gate to the barnyard and they knew there was freedom from that small pen they were in. They also knew there was nice green grass beyond the barnyard. Once the gate was open, look out because those animals wanted to get where the tall, green grass grew – the pasture! They would take off sometimes even running up the old fenced lane that went up over the hill through the cornfield to the lush green pasture on the other side of the farm. There they would graze for a while then lay down and rest for a while then graze some more. They did this all day long. Come evening we would go over to the pasture’s edge and call the cows – 'come boss, 'come boss. They would gather at the pasture gate. Sometimes we would have to go round up a few stragglers and when all were accounted for, we’d open the lane gate and back over the hill they would go to the barnyard for the night. The next morning was the same routine, day after day.
What a life, huh?!

Oh that we could just graze and rest in shady green pastures all day long! But we can rest and graze in God’s green pastures and restore our souls . . . The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. (Ps. 23:1) I believe God wants us to slow down and “rest” and “graze” and “feed” on His Word. Life throws so many things our way and we are so busy – busy doing good things. But are we running on empty a good share of the time? Are we feeling stretched to extreme? Are we content with who we are in God’s divine providence? Slow down and take some time to just leisurely graze, rest a while, then graze and feed on the good things God has provided for you. Graze, rest, and enjoy the “shady green pastures” of God’s abundant love, grace, and mercy.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Important Words

Keys to Human Relationships  (Anonymous)

The six most important words:  I admit that I was wrong.

The five most important words:  You did a great job.

The four most important words:  What do you think?

The three most important words:  Could you please. . .

The two most important words:  Thank you.

The most important word:  We.

The least important word:  I.

~     ~     ~     ~     ~    

Try these words out - put them to the test and see if you notice anything different in your day-to-day walk.  Does your walk - talk? My dad used to always tell us kids . . .  "make sure your walk - talks louder than your talk - talks"!  Don't be all talk, take time to listen, and speak from your heart with honesty. Look around and notice who is walking with you and practice the above formula for good human relations whether it is with those you work with, your family, or your friends.  These words are the recipe for the best alphabet soup you could add to your vocabulary!!

Look at these important words and use them frequently.  They show that you care about those around you. That you aren't afraid to face up to your mistakes and admit you were wrong. Admitting you were wrong does not make you any less of a person - most think more of you for being honest.  These words show that you have noticed those around you and are ready to compliment and encourage them. This is just what some people need to boost their self-esteem and you could be the one to "make their day". When you ask, you seek wisdom, imput and knowledge from other's opinions.  We can learn so much from the advice of others if we will just ask and listen. And this also makes them feel good - like they are of value.  It is always polite to use "please and thank you"!  We don't really hear these words much any more, do we??  The little word "we" is inclusive - it brings together. In our busy, frazzelled, unevenly balanced life, we need a little "togetherness", don't you think?   And last but not least is the "big I".  Life is not always about me . .  me . . . me!  I am NOT the "Queen Bee" in my world and neither are you in yours!! 

Let's make a special effort to use these important words every day!  Starting TODAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment