Graze: To feed on growing grasses.



The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.


-Ps. 23:1-6

Growing up on a farm, I used to watch the cows, sheep & horses graze in the pasture. Each morning we would open the gate to the barnyard and they knew there was freedom from that small pen they were in. They also knew there was nice green grass beyond the barnyard. Once the gate was open, look out because those animals wanted to get where the tall, green grass grew – the pasture! They would take off sometimes even running up the old fenced lane that went up over the hill through the cornfield to the lush green pasture on the other side of the farm. There they would graze for a while then lay down and rest for a while then graze some more. They did this all day long. Come evening we would go over to the pasture’s edge and call the cows – 'come boss, 'come boss. They would gather at the pasture gate. Sometimes we would have to go round up a few stragglers and when all were accounted for, we’d open the lane gate and back over the hill they would go to the barnyard for the night. The next morning was the same routine, day after day.
What a life, huh?!

Oh that we could just graze and rest in shady green pastures all day long! But we can rest and graze in God’s green pastures and restore our souls . . . The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. (Ps. 23:1) I believe God wants us to slow down and “rest” and “graze” and “feed” on His Word. Life throws so many things our way and we are so busy – busy doing good things. But are we running on empty a good share of the time? Are we feeling stretched to extreme? Are we content with who we are in God’s divine providence? Slow down and take some time to just leisurely graze, rest a while, then graze and feed on the good things God has provided for you. Graze, rest, and enjoy the “shady green pastures” of God’s abundant love, grace, and mercy.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More Hours in my Day

Do you ever wish you had more hours in your day?  Have you ever crawled into bed only to lay there going through your "to-do" list of things that didn't get done?  I have done that.  Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in my day.  I wake up each morning ready to go out an "conquer the world" but find that my list is longer than my day.  So I cross off those things accomplished and move the untouched things on to the next day!

I read this the other day . . . decide to get up thirty minutes earlier. Do this for a year, and you will add seven and one-half days to your waking world!  Well, there is our answer!!!!  Yeah, who wants to get up earlier EVERY day?? Then I thought . . . "thirty minutes" - I easily waste thirty minutes throughout my day.  What is thirty minutes in exchange for seven and one-half days?  Could you use another week in your waking hours? 

What would I do if I actually would "rise and shine" thirty minutes earlier?  Well, I could always exercise, have my daily devotions, spend more time in prayer and meditation on God's Word, enjoy an extra cup of coffee without hurrying out the door. I could use that extra thirty minutes to stop and smell the roses, to visit with my neighbor, help that little old lady put her groceries into her car and push her grocery cart back to the cart rack, I could stop and watch the kids sled riding or ice skating, I could visit someone in the hospital, I could reach out and touch someone that is searching and in need.  So many possibilities!  What are some of the things you would do if you had and extra thirty minutes? 

"I rise before the dawning of the morning, and cry for help; I hope in Your Word".    -Psalm 119:147

For me, it is in those early morning hours that I feel my time with God is so special.  We all have our special moments we spend with God but for me it is those early hours when the house is quiet, the sun is laying low and just about to burst forth a brand new day!  Such an exciting time - the dawning of the morning!  I can cry out to the God of creation for help.  Help for my daily activities, help in showing me where and what He has in store for me, help in my struggles, help in my blessings and help in showing me ways to share His abundant Grace and Glory to those around me. What would another thirty minutes in His Presence do for my day??!!!

"Commit your way unto the Lord, trust also in Him,
and He will bring it to pass".  -Psalm 37-5 

As we begin this new year, let's commit our way unto the Lord.  Commit that extra thirty minutes to Him and trust Him and let Him bring it to pass. 

Let Christ show us new and mighty things that we have never taken the extra thirty minutes (seven and one-half days) to experience!  A new year - a new day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow; I'm missing out on a week! It's something of amazement that you posted about this today. I got up 30 min. before my alarm clock went off - did get a little more accomplished so far! Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete